A few months ago I wrote about a challenge I was planning to do. I planned to travel from London Euston to London Paddington via Aberdeen and Penzance. More about it can be found here: https://dominiksymonowicz.com/2018/07/23/doms-32-hours-on-trains-in-the-uk-challenge/
This is a 6 part series report about my Dom 32 hours on the train in UK challenge that I did between 11-13.10’2018. I split this report into the following parts:
- Before travel
- London Euston -> Aberdeen by Caledonian Sleeper
- Aberdeen -> Penzance by CrossCountry
- Penzance -> London Paddington by Night Rivera/GWR
- Thoughts and summary
- (Bonus) Delay repay process
Last part was unexpected as I didn’t plan my travel to go that wrong but I want to share my experience with claiming money back.
In a few sentences. How was it?
Well, my plan was to have a relaxed a trip on 3 unique travel trips. The trip however changed into a survival adventure. Despite all of the problems I had during this trip, I had a great time doing this even if things go according to plan B or even C. What went wrong? Let’s me just write for now that none of the 3 trains I took arrived at the destination and my trip was affected by:
- Derailment of the train.
- No dispatch person on the platform.
- Lack of the crew (Driver was on another train).
- The driver requires brake by law.
- Person hit by the train.
- Damage to the overhead electric wires between stations.
- Inspection of the track.
- The poor condition of the track
- Poor weather conditions caused by the Callum storm.
- and a few more I didn’t manage to write down.
As results of these events, I decided to split my report into a few short blog entries.
All live updates, pictures and videos that from this trip can be also found here:
In the next part, I will talk about events prior travel and my experience in the Virgin Trains First Class Lounge. https://dominiksymonowicz.com/2018/10/22/doms-32-hours-on-trains-in-the-uk-challenge-part-2-before-travel/
#Dom32HoursOnTrainInUK #CaledonianSleeper #UKLongestDirectRailService #NightRivera #Euston #Aberdeen #Penzance #Paddington #CrossCountry #gwr