HOW TO WRITE GOOD COVER LETTER?
It is very rare to write a cover letter in IT industry. I didn’t write any in last 4 years. I wrote a few of them in my life and all of them were rubbish. In my opinion, it is actually waste of time for you and company.
However, so far I learnt that your cover letter should have 5 parts:
- Introduction (what you are applying for, where you found info about the job).
- Who you are and what skills you have.
- Link your skills with experience and match this requirement written in the job specification. It is the most important point.
- Explain why above skills are good for the company (mention good news about company found in news or etc.).
- Thank you paragraph (where you said thank you for time spent on reading another boring Cover Letter.
and the other useful rules, that I found are:
- The cover letter should be an extension to your bullet points in CV targeted directly to the company that you are applying for.
- They are very similar rules to CV. (market yourself, grammar, formatting and linking skills with achievements).
- Write template of your cover letter (As 3 parts of cover letters are almost always the same. Main different in part about why you choose the company and what you know about a company. It will save you plenty of time!
- Do not copy and paste cover letters as it is a chance that you will copy stuff, which you don’t want (like other company names). If you make this mistake, then …GAME OVER. (I have done that twice 😦 and it failed me as result ).